Tuesday, April 3, 2012


I have been wanting to blog for quite some time.  Of course, whenever I get the itch to blog there is always something in my way.  We haven't had a computer for a couple of weeks now but finally we have one and hopefully this word salad that's in my head will finally be able to come out into normal sentences and thoughts.  So... bare with me.

I wanted to talk about my pregnancy! I'm sure that most of you know the news because we announced it on facebook.  I wanted to share the story to those of you who care.  As most of you know I had been struggling with trying to get pregnant.  I wrote a post about it if you want to go back and read it.  I had been very down about the whole situation.  I went in to my OBGYN for my first infertility appointment.  We discussed a bunch of options and possibilities. I had been taking the ovulation tests for a few months to see if I was even ovulating and when.  My cycle had always been very irregular and ever since I stopped birth control it went back to being irregular.  The few months that I did the ovulation tests it seemed that only one month I even ovulated and it was at a completely random time, not where I should have ovulated.  Our plan of action would be to wait until I started my period the next time and then do blood work on certain days of my cycle to see if we could narrow down the possibilities of why I wasn't getting pregnant.

We waited... and waited.  It seemed that my period couldn't come soon enough because I was so anxious to get the testing done and hopefully some answers.  I was frustrated, I know that my period was irregular but really why couldn't it just come on time this month.  Finally I got to the point where I was over a week late and decided ok, to just take a pregnancy test.  I knew that it would be negative, just like every other time that I had tested.  I didn't want to be let down again but I just had to know.  (I had actually taken a test about a week before this and it was negative, which is another reason why I was sure that I wasn't pregnant). 

The morning of January 25th, I decided that I couldn't wait any longer so I took a test.  It was 5:00 am and I was getting ready for work.  I was utterly in shock and disbelief when I saw the results.  Positive.  It couldn't be, how was this even possible?  I tested for 20 days the previous month (a month which I had a period) and I did not ovulate.  So I took another, another definite positive.  I couldn't believe it.  I ran in and woke up Cody waving the sticks in his face and said "We're having a baby!".  Still sleepy, he smiled and asked if I was sure.  He read them himself and couldn't wipe the smile off his face.  We were going to be parents. 

I went in for my 8 week appointment and they said that everything looked good.  They told me that I was due September 25th. I had been having really severe cramps so I called my Dr.  They said that I was probably under a lot of stress and I needed to take it easy.  I decided to quite the bachelor's of nursing program and focus on my new job and on starting a family (because really, that was the most important thing). I had been seeing these advertisement for the NuMom2Be study that they were doing at Utah Valley Hospital so I called for more information.  They follow new moms throughout their pregnancy and the birth of the baby.  There and no interventions and consequently, no risks.  The great thing about the study is that I get 3 free ultrasounds including a 3D ultrasound and I get to find out the sex of the baby a little early.  I go in for 3 appointments and answer a lot of questions and do a lot of lab work.  I get compensated a little, but mainly I just wanted the ultrasounds because normally my doctor only does one at 20 weeks.  We got to see the baby for the first time on March 1st.  I was only about 11 weeks pregnant but it was amazing to see that little baby inside of me.  It definitely made things more real.  You could see the little heart valves opening and closing and the baby even had the hiccups!  It was good for both Cody and I to see the baby for reassurance that everything was looking good. We were almost scared to get too excited in case something goes wrong (that is still a fear we both have).

Things are going well with my pregnancy.  I am now 15 weeks and in just over 2 weeks we are finding out the sex of the baby!! I have been feeling pretty well lately, except migraines that I get quite frequently.  I can't complain though, because honestly what a blessing this is. 

Within one weeks time I felt more blessings than I ever had in my life.  I was going through some trials in my life that I didn't know how I wouldn't overcome them until suddenly everything turned around.  My little sister, Ali, had become ill with RSV and pneumonia and eventually an ileus.  She ended up in the hospital and was not doing well. A couple of nights after she was admitted, I went to see her.  I had never been so scared in my life,  I don't think I will ever get that image out of my head.  My once glowing, smiling, laughing little sister was now  skin and bones, pasty white, and sweating from all pores in her body.  She was shaking as if having a constant seizure and would not make eye contact. She would whimper and cry but was not consolable.  It was if she was a completely different person.  I don't think I've even seen my parents so scared before.  There little girl was in a state that was out of their control, they could not do anything to help her.  It was a difficult week for her, for my parents, for my family.  Everyone prayed.  She received blessings. Because of every one's faith and because of the Grace of God she got better.  It was not her time to leave yet. 

That same week I found out I was pregnant.

Within a week's time I had successfully taken and passed my Nursing Boards and was officially a RN.  What I had worked so hard for, for so many years.  I was sure that I would not pass because of how difficult of a test it was and because of the stress that I had been over.  By the Grace of God, once again, he helped me after I put in all the effort that I could and I passed.

Three life changing miracles that happened, within a matter of a week.  Coincidence, I think not.  I was struggling in so many different aspects of my life and did not feel that I could overcome any of these trials.  However, God knew,  He had a plan for me.  He did not forget me.  He came when He knew that I needed Him.  He blessed me in ways that will change my life forever.  I am eternally grateful.


  1. Krista! What a beautiful story, and testimony! I'm excited for you guys!! Congrats!

  2. I love this!! Yay for Heavenly Father knowing what's best :) I'm excited for your baby. and for you guys.

  3. I love your story and I love that you found a way to be grateful through all of that! You guys are going to be amazing parents!!

  4. Krista you are amazing. I am so happy for you and cody what an amazing blessing. Congrats:D

  5. I am so happy for you guys! This really was an amazing post you have a wonderful perspective and strong testimony. I can't wait to read more posts and see more prego pics! Congratulations!